Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

good day i am really worried at the moment i am stressed

Customer Question

good day
i am really worried at the moment i am stressed because a few weeks ago my husband was diagnosed with bell.s palsy and he was treated with methycorbal 500mg 3 times a day until today with cortizone, he went for blood tests recently and the results showed that his ferritin level is 1130 and that his esr level is 115 does this mean he has an infection of some kind please tell me that it not cancer i will really freak out
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

I can appreciate your concern.

You need not worry about cancer just from these two reports.

Ferritin and ESR are raised in a large number of conditions. The most likely cause is inflammation. As your husband already had an episode of Bell's palsy, he has already had an inflammatory process. So this is likely to be the cause.

Any iron overload disorder can cause raised ferritin, such as hemochromatosis or hemosiderosis. Adult-onset Still's disease, some porphyrias, etc.

Liver disorders can also cause this.

It is only when all these are excluded that we might come to think of cancer. So definitely cancer is not at all to be thought of at this stage.

Acute inflammation is the most likely cause, and the raised ESR supports it. At the moment, the only thing necessary would be a repeat test after 6 weeks. If it is still high then, and the ESR has returned to normal, then tests for iron overload disorders must be done.

Discuss this with your doctor.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Hi Yianoula,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Is there any further information that you need? Please do write if you wanted to know something more.

Do write back to me if you have any follow up questions,

Dr. P. Jyoti