Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

muscle pains across the shoulders particularly the left side

Customer Question

muscle pains across the shoulders particularly the left side of the neck and top of the left shoulder. also tingling sensation in both hands and fingers.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.
The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Hi there,
I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to help you with your concerns.

These symptoms along with tingling and numbness on the left side can be due to the nerve impingement at the cervical spine.
Impingement of the nerves at the shoulder, known as shoulder impingement is another strong possibility.
Another possibility can be underlying heart condition causing radiating pain and numbness.
This can be checked out by the EKG and cardiac enzymes at the earliest.
However, nerve related symptoms are best evaluated by the MRI scan of the cervical spine and a nerve conduction study.
Physical rehabilitation focusing on the muscles strengthening of the upper back and shoulder along with traction will be helpful in case of nerve impingement related symptoms.
If your heart is good, and after a clinical evaluation,physical rehabilitation should be helpful over next 4 to 6 weeks in most cases.
For pain, ibuprofen will be helpful immediately, but take it after discussing with your doctor.

Best wishes,