jbmd
jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience
69164063

Hi, Im a 21 year old female and have had a short history of

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a 21 year old female and have had a short history of seizures. I have had tests and there is no sign of epilepsy although my Mother did have a diagnosis of epilepsy. I have had another seizure which comes on unexpectedly. My temperature is high and my pupils dilated with no response to light. I shake and breath irregularly and my fingers are held in a curled position. can you offer any ideas as to what these seizures may be if not epilepsy?
Expert:  jbmd replied 4 years ago.

jbmd :

Hi--I'll be glad to answer your questions. Welcome to JustAnswer.

jbmd :

Are you available to chat?

jbmd :

I see you have entered the chat--if you have seizures your problem can be called "epilepsy" or a "seizure disorder"

jbmd :

they are one and the same thing.

jbmd :

Often, between seizures, the EEG (electroencephalogram), the test that they gave you can be normal.

jbmd :

It isn't always abnormal.

jbmd :

I assume your temperature goes up with the seizure and the temperature doesn't come before the seizure

jbmd :

All seizures come from abnormal electrical impulses in the brain.

jbmd :

Often the pupil of the eye dilates

jbmd :

It sounds as if you might have a family tendency to seizures. Other things can start a problem with seizures: head injury, high fevers, infections in the brain and some other infections, and a lot of drugs, especially the cocaine and amphetamine-type drugs.

jbmd :

The seizures usually have a period of blackout followed by a period of confusion and often clenching of the hands.

jbmd :

It is better for the doctors to treat you than let you have seizures--they can be dangerous.

jbmd :

When you return, ask any question you wish.

jbmd :

Why did you rate bad service without asking additional questions for clarification?

jbmd :

I posted to help you. Seizures are not good for your brain.

jbmd :

Why would you, when you have not gotten the answers you need from your local care for one reason or another, go to a site where you are anonymous and not work this situation out? You don't want to have this happen when you are driving or at a party or standing at the top of a flight of stairs. I want to work out how you can get help, no matter what your problem is called.

Expert:  jbmd replied 4 years ago.
As you see, a physician in the UK agrees with me. We all want to help you.