jbmd
jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience
69164063

ive breast fed my children but my daughter wont breast feed

Customer Question

ive breast fed my children but my daughter wont breast feed my grandson as she has implants can i produce milk through pumping and domperdome to express for him she is in agreement to this
Expert:  jbmd replied 4 years ago.

jbmd :

Hi--I'll be glad to give you some advice. I can't examine or treat you or replace local medical care. Older women, even if menopausal CAN produce milk but you might not be successful or might not produce much.

jbmd :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-w3fnbkbs- : Yes I'm here I've been pumping for 3 months and my breasts have got larger and tender and I'm reducing a clear fluid
jbmd :

I applaud what you are doing! This will make you a much closer family.Pumping and stimulating the breasts if very important.

jbmd :

Milk is not dependent on hormones but on a substance from the pituitary gland, like the hormone oxytocin used to stimulate labor as pitocin.

jbmd :

An outline of all this is here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5668811_nurse-after-menopause.html

jbmd :

I don't know if you have stopped your periods or not but either way, there is a good chance you can successfully do so.

jbmd :

Any questions?

jbmd :

Did you type something and it got lost?

jbmd :

In fact, estrogen and progesterone drop after delivery of the baby and stay down for months after, during breast feeding.

jbmd :

prolactin from the pituitary is another substance involved with milk production

JACUSTOMER-w3fnbkbs- : I don't no if this makes a difference but I had everything removed when I was 35 and on hrt but have cut my dose down to 1 patch a week instead of 2
jbmd :

That might not make a difference at all as even men have successfully lactated (gave milk)

jbmd :

You were really smart to start stimulating with pumping far ahead.

jbmd :

It might not work but go for it and consult your local lactation nurse, if possible.

jbmd :

I think it's exciting.

jbmd :

A lovely thing to do for your grandbaby

jbmd :

(Is your daughter sure her implants would interfere? If they are under the muscle, they might make no difference.)

jbmd :

Fenugreek is an ancient ayurvedic Indian spice for lactation.

jbmd :

A lot of native people in different areas have other women nursing a mother's baby to help out or replace her should she die or have a problem making milk

JACUSTOMER-w3fnbkbs- : Do you think taking domperdome will help
jbmd :

It might do so. It can be tried if your doctor OR a sympathetic doctor through the local lactation nurse will hook you up with him/her.

JACUSTOMER-w3fnbkbs- : Do you think if I tried domperdome and fenugreek I might stand a better chance
jbmd :

Domperdone causes release of prolactin

jbmd :

Yes, I do, as you've already been pumping and only gotten clear fluid so far

jbmd :

If you can get a doctor to prescribe it for you

jbmd :

As I said: prolactin is the milk producing substance from the pituitary gland (in your head, nothing you had taken out)

jbmd :

oxytocin also from the pituitary releases the milk with stimulation

jbmd :

If you are bound and determined to do this lovely thing, call your doctor and ask. If he/she won't help, call the lactation nurses

jbmd :

Are you still there? A chat with your doctor or even with the nurses first will help.

JACUSTOMER-w3fnbkbs- : Thank you so much for your help I will try my doctor but don't think she will help when I've mentioned this before she had said there is nothing wrong in powdered milk so may have to do this on my own but thank you so much for your information and help its nice to talk to someone. Many many thanks
jbmd :

Your doctor is wrong. Breast milk is best for baby. Sometimes it can't be produced no matter what and then formula is a substitute. YOU ARE RIGHT. It might not be possible but wanting to do this is the right thing.

jbmd :

And...you're welcome. Call the lactation society nurses.

jbmd :

I'll switch this to q&a so it stops timing out, okay?

Expert:  jbmd replied 4 years ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above as I measure how I have done by the ratings. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Expert:  jbmd replied 4 years ago.
Wanted to follow up and see if you got any help with this issue. Has it been resolved to your satisfaction?