Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

The body creates lactate acid when exercising. Lactate acid

Customer Question

The body creates lactate acid when exercising. Lactate acid can be measured during exercise by taking a blood sample.

The blood sample will continue to create lactate acid after it has left the body (so a quick test is required).

What type of inhibitor would I need to stop the blood generating additional lactate acid after it has left the body?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

lactic acid is better tested in arterial blood than venous blood.

Dr. David :

read about this here.

Dr. David :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid#Blood_testing

Dr. David :

so you would be an arterial blood draw.

Dr. David :

and with any arterial blood draws, the blood testing has to be right away. and the blood sample is placed on ice if the blood testing can't be done right away.

Dr. David :

icing the sample is the only way to slow down any continuing oxidative reaction of the red blood cells if they are still oxidizing glucose.

Dr. David :

we do arterial blood gases or ABG blood gas testing all the time in the hospital to draw arterial blood.

Dr. David :

so your measurement of lactate acid is best studied in arterial blood.

Dr. David :

the normal range for lactate acid is much narrower in arterial blood blood than venous blood.

Dr. David :

but with any arterial blood testing, the test has to be done right away, and icing the sample can only hold it for so long.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

JACUSTOMER-s8738btu- :

For testing in sport, taking arterial blood is impractical (even if more accurate). Is there a way to stop the lactate developing in venous blood after if has left the body?

JACUSTOMER-s8738btu- :

Thanks,

Dr. David :

the only way is to put the blood sample on ice.

Dr. David :

icing the blood will slow down reactions in the blood cells.

Dr. David :

that is the only way to slow down the lactic acid production.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.