Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I had surgery 30+ years ago for a duodenal ulcer and I am now

Customer Question

I had surgery 30+ years ago for a duodenal ulcer and I am now 79 years old. I have diarrhoea regularly and the urgency is so great that I cannot hold back the loose discharge. This is making life very difficult and I need advice on how to control my bowel movements. My doctor has prescribed mebeverine. I have found that 2/3 tablets a day causes constipation so I take one a day together with one packet of Fybrogel which helps to some extent. Can you give me any dietary advice regarding how to control these symptons.
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Before going on to treat your diarrhea , it will be better to diagnose the cause of the diarrhea. Please ask your doctor to order stool tests as well as a colonoscopy for a diagnosis.

The stool tests may show up parasites like Amoeba, which often cause urgent diarrhea. Treatment with antibiotics like metronidazole will help.

You may also be suffering from conditions like IBS (irritable Bowel Syndrome), Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's disease which will show up in the colonoscopy. Growths in the colon or rectum can also cause urgent diarrhea.

Diarrhea can be controlled to some extent by medicine which slow down the movement of the intestines like Imodium. Mebeverin is typically used in IBS. High fibre diets with oats, brown rice, increased fruits and vegetables will help.

Please consult your doctor for the tests.