DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

Use of MST CONTINUS 10mg. Alcohol intake allowed ?

Customer Question

Use of MST CONTINUS 10mg.

Alcohol intake allowed ?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

No, alcohol must not be combined with MST continus.

MST Continus is morphine, and both morphine and alcohol have neurological suppression as side effects.

Hence taking them together can lead to enhancement of this effect.

Do not combine alcohol with MST Continus - it is not safe.

Also discuss this with your doctor.

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Dr. P. Jyoti
Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.

I have to give you another opinion on this.

I am a UK doctor and for the last 16 years I have been working in hospices where morphine is used virtually daily.

You can drink moderate alcohol on MST by which I mean a glass of wine with a meal 2 or 3 times a week (or a pre meal sherry or 1 beer.)

We allowed our patients to have alcohol at the hospice (irrespective of the dose of morphine they were on) but moderation, as always, is the key. In fact we had a drinks trolley that went round each evening.

The following link to the UK MacMillan site goes into a lot of detail about painkillers in general but under "Side Effects of Strong Opioids" you will find the current guidance on alcohol intake whilst on opioids.

This is what it says:

• Drowsiness This usually passes within a few days once you're used to the dose. Alcohol may increase drowsiness so if you do drink alcohol, it's best to reduce your intake when you start taking strong painkillers. You can then gradually increase it if drowsiness isn't a problem.
  •  

and here is the link to the whole article:

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Symptomssideeffects/Pain/Levelsofpaincontrol.aspx

This is the guidance we observed at the hospice.

Hope that helps,

Best wishes.

I am a caring and compassionate UK doctor and have been qualified for 23 years. I have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.