DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I spent 17 hours travelling on planes and landed on Monday

Customer Question

I spent 17 hours travelling on planes and landed on Monday since when I've felt tired, with a stuffy head and slight cough. Now I'm getting an occasional wave of pain in the left side of my head, behind my left ear and round to the back. I'm sleeping and eating well and have no fever. I'm 59, female, 5 ft 10 in, 60kgs and otherwise in excellent health.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

This needs to be examined and do not weight.
Ear infection or sinus infection or both are possible.

Any new head pain should be examined.

But symptoms can be mild in adults with serious ear infection needing antibiotics.

Congestion from a cold? Maybe, but the pain is what is unusual.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. It doesn't feel like ear pain more like sinus infection but I was not sure that it could be present in the side of the head. It feels just like the pain I have felt on the few occasions I've had sinus pain but that was in the front of my head. If it's possible to get sinus pain well behind the ear - then I think that may be what it is. If so, do I need antibiotics or will it just sort itself out?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Not typical.
Behind the ear is more often mastoiditis, which can also become severe if not treated.

It will not sort itself out.