Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi,We have had a prior pregnancy a little boy with ambiguous

Customer Question

We have had a prior pregnancy a little boy with ambiguous genatalia and a number of other conditions. We also have a little girl who has no health issues at all. My wife is pregnant again and we had our 17 week scan - one of the things the sonographer focussed on was the genatalia of the fetus - she said it was clearly a boy, we ourselves saw the penis. she also checked with the obstetricians.

This has eased our concerns a little. my question is is it possible that it could have been a female fetus with abnormal genatalia
1
the other factor was HCG and PAPP-A in this pregnancy were both 0.91 in our first poregnancy they were both under 0.40

was hoping for information on these, if able to answer
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

I am a Plastic Surgeon and have been dealing with such cases for a while since we are required in gender re assignment cases to reconstruct the genitalia. With ambiguous genitalia and prenatal scans - ambiguous genitalia can be picked up on 17 weeks with ease. It is clearly a boy if the sonologist has seen a penis. If it were a girl, the sonologist would have picked up a uterus and ovaries rather than a penis and if it were a fetus with ambiguous genitalia then the sonologist would have picked up mixed findings of a uterus, ovaries and penis.
Low hCG and PAPP-A levels are a concern but a number around .91 is not something to be overtly concerned about. These are markers that show up during proliferatibve processes and are raised in pregnancies in variable amounts.
Hope this has helped.
If you have more questions and need more information about this topic, please reply back without rating. I am here till you are satisfied.
If you are satisfied, please leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.