Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have lichin planus lower legs. for more than 2 years. is

Customer Question

I have lichin planus lower legs. for more than 2 years. is there a cure The itchiness is severe and often I wake up scratching and have drawn blood on shins. most severe on side of legdown towards ankle. I find calamine aqueous cream soothing but is there a more effective treatment
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question Helen.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

Yes this is a treatable problem and there are number of drugs that can be used to provide you cure.

First, steroids can be used. Generally in the form of creams/lotions these can be applied over the affected area but in some cases these can be give in the oral or even in the intravenous form (for a rapid relief).

Then there are other medications like Acitretin or Isotretinoin which can help and can be used in combination with steroids.

Finally immune-modulator drugs like ciclosporin can also be used for long term control and management.

At the same time if there are any ulcers or wounds developed due to itching, your doctor may also give you short course of antibiotics as well.

Therefore, if not already, you must see a dermatologist for this problem discussing all the above mentioned treatment plans which will direct subsequent management plan that suits best to your needs.

This is a treatable condition and most of the patients get very satisfying results.

Stay relaxed.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.