Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have a sore throat ,coughing fits ,runny nose , sore ears

Customer Question

I have a sore throat ,coughing fits ,runny nose , sore ears , mucus & phlegm reflux ! Also had crusty eyelashes and puss on outside of my eyes this morning ! feeling very weak with little appetite . First symptoms approx 6 days ago . (I have been flying frequently over the last month 14 flights in total )and i wonder if i could have picked up an infection or virus ?

Laurence
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello and thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you have fever?

Dr. Sohaib :

Feel short of breath?

Dr. Sohaib :

Any concurrent medical illness like diabetes, heart disease or hypertension?

JACUSTOMER-86tkmdqc- :

no constant fever or diabetes but i have had night sweats in bed ! I am on meds (Losartin for hyper tension & simvistatin for cholesterol ) I am 5'7" in height and weigh 88kilos (BP CHECK YESTERDAY WAS 150/91) heart beat was 81 per Minute

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for the useful information.

Dr. Sohaib :

Keeping in view the generalized nature of the symptoms (which involve your lungs, throat, eyes), this appears most likely to be a viral infection which has probably got complicated by a secondary bacterial invasion.

Dr. Sohaib :

Crusty eyelashes and puss from the eyes is a clear sign of bacterial conjuctivitis, and you need antibiotic + steroid drops for that.

Dr. Sohaib :

Similarly for cough, you should have a chest x-ray done to make sure this is not from pneumonia.

Dr. Sohaib :

Your doctor may consider a course of oral antibiotics as well to cover infection in your lungs as well as throat and eyes.

Dr. Sohaib :

Therefore, at this point i will suggest you to see your doctor, and get a comprehensive physical examination done discussing the details i have mentioned to get a management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

Dr. Sohaib :

Keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Dr. Sohaib :

Wash your eyes with water frequently.

Dr. Sohaib :

Nephazoline eye drops can be used for control of inflammation and itching until your doctor prescribes you more stronger anti-inflammatory drops (along with antibiotic).

Dr. Sohaib :

Similarly steam inhalation will ease out your cough, and makes it easy to through out phlegm.

Dr. Sohaib :

Honey water is a good remedy for controlling inflammation at home, there is no harm in giving it a trial until you see your doctor.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers you.

Dr. Sohaib :

Let me know if some thing remains unanswered for you, or if there are other questions/clarification?

Dr. Sohaib :

Are you there?

Dr. Sohaib :

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dear Lawrence,

I have answered your question.

Please Rate the answer if it helps; or ask any follow up question till you are satisfied.

Regards.

Dr Sohaib.