DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

I have been taking Omrrazole 20mg for 20 yrs. I have now been

Customer Question

I have been taking Omrrazole 20mg for 20 yrs. I have now been prescribed 80mgs for three months. My GP felt that this was too high but my Consultant has asked me to continue the increased dose. I am a little concerened that my medical advisors don't agree with each other.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question

This dose is safe to take.

There is some concern when this dose is used long term.

Long term, this can cause bone problems like osteoporosis, magnesium deficiency and increased risk of infections

However, short term, the risk is minimal. You should be fine.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I'd like to do a second opinion here. 80mg of omeprazole is no more effective than 40mg. We don't now why your consultant has raised the dosage unless you're having reflux or heartburn symptoms, but unless you've recently had upper endoscopy and have active gastritis or esophagitis, or if you've been screened for H pylori and found to be positive and have been placed on antibiotics for that, I see no reason for the increase and certainly no more than 40mg. You need to contact your consultant and find out exactly why he thinks you need to be on what I consider too high a doae.

This is absolutely incorrect.

80mg of omeprazole is indicated in treatment resistant gastritis, GERD and gastric ulcers.

80mg of omeprazole divided into twice daily 40mg doses is superior to 40mg once daily in treatment resistant conditions.

Many people don't achieve full acid suppression with 40mg once daily.

Here is a study to support these claims. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8759655

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for having to confuse you with the two of us experts coming back on but since we don't know why the consultant wanted the large increase I still say that you need to ask him directly why he wanted such a drastic increase in the first place. And if you look at the link the other expert referred to patients with demonstrated excess acidity despite being on the 20mg.
Expert:  DrHelen replied 4 years ago.

I see from above that you have been given different opinions by two American doctors.

I am a UK doctor and very familiar with prescribing omeprazole.

Basically both your consultant and your GP are right!

The standard dose of omeprazole used in the UK is 20mg to 40mg daily.

However if your symptoms are worsening or more troublesome (and from what you detail above yours are) many specialists now recommend a temporary increase to 80mg daily (often taken as 40mg twice a day.) You say your consultant wants you to do this for 3 months which is common.

I had to query this myself only recently when a family member was told to take a higher dose, like you, for a while as I did not know some specialists were now doing this.

Hopefully your consultant will write to your GP explaining why he or she wants you to take the higher dose for a while.

Hope this helps, Best wishes.

I am a caring and compassionate UK doctor and have been qualified for 23 years. I have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.