jbmd
jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience
69164063

Dear Doctor, Im a 25 year old Asian woman. I just got married

Customer Question

Dear Doctor, I'm a 25 year old Asian woman. I just got married in April this year and pregnant as well because my last period was on the 12th of April,my baby is about 17weeks by now. However, about 1-1.5 months before the pregnancy, I noticed a thick whitish discharge that was not foul in odor coming out of my vagina after making love with my husband. When he withdrew, he would notice the whitish thick discharge that he at first thought that it was his sperm but the white discharge turned out to be from me! As I am pregnant now, and the condition has not improved after I used Isoconazole cream, Travogen applied externally. I am considering the use Canesten tablet, clotrimazole 0.1gram tablets for either a 2 pill,2 day course or a 6 day,6 pill course? As i a travelling with my husband on our honeymoon it was difficult to contact my OBGYN because she is on holiday leave as well. She initially told me that it was a fungal and bacterial infection and prescribe 2 ampules of Gyno-Travogen for me as well as the cream for application to the external area! I did use the ampules but did not use them consecutively, which was a mistake and maybe that's why I did not have any improvement or change for the better. I went to a local pharmacist at my holiday destination city and was that she suggested using GYNE-LOTREMIN(clotrimazole 100mg) /Canesten(clotrimazole 100mg) or ALBOTHYL Suppositories(Policresulen 90mg) and lastly, Gyno-TROSYD (Tioconazole 100mg). Please advise me which one to use or I should ask which is the best and safest one to use considering that I am pregnant and 1 month past my 2nd Trimester. Lystin(NYSTATIN 100,000 units) was also recommended. I would also like to add that this is not my first experience with a discharge but they did not seem as thick and white in color as this time. It comes and goes, would ONLY flair up when I am sexually aroused and when my immunity is down or when I am overstressed or overworked! After I get my rest, it would disappear. I was would sure that it was candidiasis or yeast infection but the strange thing is that the discharge would only appear when I have sexual arousal and when I am very tired, but mostly during or after sex ? Please help me to understand if my symptoms are indeed a yeast infection or it could be something else. A sample of the white fluid was taken by my OBGYN and tested at the lab and I was told it was a bacterial and fungal infection and it was no big deal as it happens to many pregnant women. Is this true or do you have a different opinion. Your help is much appreciated and very grateful for your reply and comment. Thank you.
Best Regards & Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.

jbmd :

Hi--I'd like to give you some advice are you available to chat?

jbmd :

Hi--I see you are now in the chat room.

jbmd :

I'd like to ask some questions, may I?

JACUSTOMER-9lq3utys- : Yes of course
JACUSTOMER-9lq3utys- : Yes
jbmd :

Okay--I can't examine or treat obviously but I have some excellent advice for you. First, was your discharge ever itchy or burning or colored other than white?

JACUSTOMER-9lq3utys- : Sure, please go ahead.
JACUSTOMER-9lq3utys- : yes please start asking.
jbmd :

I did above can you see the question?

jbmd :

Was your discharge every itchy, burning, foul-smelling or colored other than white?

jbmd :

(odor aside from the fishy odor after intercourse)

jbmd :

Was your husband's penis problem AFTER you tried treatment with the anti-fungal creams or before?

jbmd :

If you do not answer, I will assume you can't see the answers on chat and perhaps I can't see yours so I will switch to Q&A in a few seconds.

JACUSTOMER-9lq3utys- : Yes sometimes green or yellowish, in the past, the discharge was accompanied by it itching. Burning would only come after intercourse! The green discharge was foul smelling, 3 times and about 2 months ago. But not anymore with the foul smelling, in fact the white discharge is odorless surprisingly! Yes he took antibiotics for the infection and pain at the tip of penis, I believe he was also given a cream that has the same I ingredient as GYNO Lotremin.
JACUSTOMER-9lq3utys- : Sorry About the long reply, because you asked me several questions and I wanted to answer the all at once so it took longer. Can you return to the chat room please. Thank you
Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.

Can you see the questions and answer now? I want to give my advice

Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
Type the answers into the box below. Don't close this until we are done, please.
Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
I saw that you responded but I think a site bug is causing problems.

The redness at the tip of your husband's penis is a sign of irritation period NOT diagnostic of yeast.

I have more to say..can you see this?
Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
I keep getting notified that you respond but nothing shows up.

Unless you have a problem with pain, itching, discolored discharge, I do not think you have a problem!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, I do have burning pains and sensitive especially durimg intercourse and after. my genitalia is slightly reddish and swollen than normal.

Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
Burning in your vagina? Were you sexually active before marriage? Is the burning just since the creams for yeast?

Vaginal discharge varies very greatly in different women and in any one woman's cycle. Hormones are the reason. The hormonal and emotional and arousal of being married and sleeping with your husband may have increased your normal discharge.

Often, at the beginning of a pregnancy, discharge increases from the hormonal changes of pregnancy. The discharge is often heavy and white but it can be milky and white.

More...
Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
Yeast creams can be very irritating and cause swelling. The stress you feel can make it worse.

Did the doctor send samples off to a lab to see if anything was there?

Yeast is usually clumpy and sweet-smelling. Normal vaginal discharge finely grainy and without odor except after sex.

If you keep chasing something that isn't there, you will most likely irritate yourself and maybe your husband. Cultures are the key--if negative, do not treat.

Some women really get burning from vaginal yeast creams so therefore the delicate lining of your husband's urethral opening could also be burned by them. The one-day or three-day treatments are the worst.
Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
In other words, Anita, I want to make sure you're not worrying for nothing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when my husband felt the pain amd irritation, I had not seen my OBGYN yet and did not use any creams or medication whatsoever for any sickness or health problems.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when my husband felt the pain amd irritation, I had not seen my OBGYN yet and did not use any creams or medication whatsoever for any sickness or health problems. yes my discharge was sweet smelling, thats how i differentiated it from my husbands' discharged/sperm.

Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
Okay- is your husband still irritated? If he is, a simple urine put in by him can test for chalmydia, ureaplasma, mycoplasma--simple little organisms that can cause non-specific urethritis in men. On the other hand, if any lubricant was used with or without a condom, that could be his problem.

The very fact that you had a bit more discharge when aroused in the past would seem to me that you have a heavier discharge normally than some women. It really is common to have heavier discharge at the beginning of a pregnancy when the blood vessels in the area start to engorge. Again at the end when the baby's head presses down. A pure white discharge without odor or clumping or itching is rarely worrisome.

If your gyn put a drop of your discharge on a glass slide and looked at it under the microscope, she could see if there was yeast there or not.
Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
I do that always in the office and a culture can follow up--I send a swab to the lab.

There are home test kits for vaginal discharge you could try.

Yeast is very sickly sweet smelling often. Pure and clean sweet is normal.
Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.

Vagisil home test kits are sold in Asia.

After all the yeast treatment you've tried, it's hard to believe you have yeast.

Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
Here is a reference--I can get you more if you wish:
http://www.everydayhealth.com/pms/vaginal-discharge.aspx
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh no, big misunderstanding! I have not tried any of the meds that I mentioned earlier! the only one I have tried was the Gyno-Travocort ovule 600mg, 2 amps, 1 on first day and the next one 4 days later! thats where I made my mistake. the symptoms improved but became worse later again. its Isoconozole that I have ONLY tried and used!

Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
Oh, okay. Try clotrimazole for a week, then. It's very little absorbed from the vagina and so not a risk in pregnancy--but first please test for yeast. I'd think if you had yeast for months, you'd have scratched yourself raw.

You can spread the vaginal cream on your husband's penis, getting a little inside the urethra. If you both have a reaction to yeast, that will make things right. (under the foreskin if he's not circumcised.)

I do not like treatment without diagnosis--by doctors. At home, classic yeast can be treated over the counter.
Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.

Don't worry--I'll be patient until we get things right for you. I still think your underlying discharge situation is just heavier than normal but still normal. Your initial problem could have come from the "honeymoon" period of intercourse where the normal yeast in the vagina (it's there all the time) grew on irritated tissue--irritated from the happiness of being newly married. Arousal definitely increases discharge in NORMAL women

Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.
any further questions--I want to make sure everything is right for you since mothers-to-be worry so much. It's a tough time but full of joy and good luck.