Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

complelte bladder incontinence after operation for sciatica

complelte bladder incontinence after operation for sciatica for the removal of synovial cycst, two days later removal of a large heamatoma in the same region.exercise does not help at all.any suggestions?
Hi--sorry to hear about your problem. Have you been evaluated by a neurologist for this and what did your latest MRI show?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A nerve is pressing or is compromised, against the disc; I am not very sure, as they have not explained it well to me.

At first they thought it was a slipped disc.

I have not seen the Consultant Neurologist yet. Seeing him end August.

OK Have you had any medications or treatments for this problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the only treatment so far is pain medications;

Gabapentin 300mg - 2 x 3day ie 600mg 3 times day.

Butran patches 20mcg & 10mcg per week

Paracetamol 500mg. - two 3/4 x day.

forgot to mention. Intermittent bowl leakage.

Can anything be done to improve my incontinence? Am I to be left like this for the rest of my life???

Just one more question--you said complete bladder incontinence and intermittent bowel incontinence--can you tell me more about those?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

bladder incontinence ;

I cannot feel the urge or that my bladder is full.

When I stand up, my bladder opens up, and the urine just pours out, I cannot control it, I have no control over it at all !!

The only way to avoid accidents is by wearing double protection 24/7 ie. Tena Pant & TenaPad..x

Before the operation I had a weak bladder and was managing by wearing normal panties and a Tena pad and taking one Oxybutenin tablet twice a day ater the Op., cannot feel any sensation.

Fecal Incontinence happened last summer 2012. I was driving down from north london- Edgware, to south london. Lewisham. When

I got home, had to pass urine but to my horror I found I had not leaked but had Pooed .thats when I had My First of many MRIs.

Now everyday, I do feel when I want to empty my bowls. but once opened, I feel my bowls have not quite closed and it leaks rest of the day and I do not get any sensation or feeling until i go to change my pad or I get sore around the back passage.

.

OK--just one last question--have you seen a urologist and had tests done to see exactly what the problem is with your bladder?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry I was called away.

No, no urologist and no tests were done. But while in hospital, I was seen by a nurse from urology who showed me how to self-catheterise. I found it very painful and could not get used to.

OK and we can continue after this if you'd like. If this is because of a lower spine problem it would have to be more than just a disk pressing on a nerve root. It would take spinal stenosis with something called cauda equina syndrome and a pressing on the spinal cord itself to do that. That still is a possibility and I don't know if the MRI showed that or not. If that were the case, then you'd need spinal decompression surgery. Two other--not very likely at your age--possibilities would be multiple sclerosis or ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). It will take the Neurology consultation to determine exactly what's going on here.