Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

For almost a year now I have felt unwell with daily headaches,lack

Customer Question

For almost a year now I have felt unwell with daily headaches,lack of energy and enthusiasm and permanently fatigued.I have had various medical checkups and my vitals are in excellent condition. My doctor arranged a psychiatric examination which was negative.I am a slim 67 year old physically fit and active,moderate drinker and have become a zombie. Help.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Do you snore at night?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not for long periods, just the odd occasion. I am a smoker but my lung and breathing results are excellent.

sorry about the late reply Sandra.

How long have you smoked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For 40 years at about twenty a day but I am never breathless, can do physical exercise and my lung scan done 3 months ago was excellent. I do not have a cough.

That's good Sandra.

I'm glad your scan was normal.

I have to think that the smoking is somehow related with all the other normal tests

Have you had a lung function test? (PFTs?)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

What did it show?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all I know is that the consultant said my lung strength and output capacity were excellent, especially for my age. Apart from the medical concern about smoking I have not been pressured into giving up ( which I'm not inclined to do ) I also had a head scan in view of the constant headaches and this was negative.I am becoming increasingly concerned about the long term effect of my paracetomol usage which I must take to ease my headaches.

paracetamol is okay. long term use has no effects as long as you are under 4 grams per day

I would recommend thyroid and adrenal gland function testing as well.

Has this been done Sandra?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had a thyroid test recently which was fine. I had an adrenal test a couple of years ago which I think was fine. Funnily enough, whilst exploring everything that might be responsible for my unwellness I asked my GP for an adrenal glant test which he dismissed as rubbish. Are you in a position to give me a medical overview of what is the possible cause of my condition? I have really had all the tests to eliminate the more obvious causes. Alternatively, can you suggest where I should go to find a correct diagnosis? Please don't suggest my GP as he is as frustrated as I am.

Thanks Sandra.

I would refer you to an endocrinologist for further workup

Another thing I didn't mention originally is vitamin levels.

Vitamin D and B12 in particular can cause this.

I would get those checked as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i'll try not to take up any more of your valuable time except to describe my condition which as if I had the 'flu---feeling achy, hot/cold, permanent headache,tired, listless --a perfect description,

What does an endocrinologist do?

You're welcome Sandra.

It could be fibromyalgia. This should be considered.

Here is an article on it

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079

An endocrinologist deals with hormone and vitamin issues