Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Im going to have cryocautery of the cervix in just over a

I'm going to have cryocautery of the cervix in just over a weeks time but I would like to start taking the mini pill before I have this done because it works in with my periods, will this make any difference to the procudure I'm a 50 year old woman that's been on HRT duo pill for 6 years.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Please tell, me abnormality of the cervix, for which cryocautery has been advised.
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Are you taking any medications at this time?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I take HRT duo and have been for the last 6 years other wise I'm quite well I'm 50 years of age. The reason for cryocautery is bleeding after sex there are no cancerous cells
Dear XXXXX, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
Good to hear that there is no serious underlying cause, for cryocautery procedure.

Cryocautery of the cervix is a procedure, where the outer layer of cells of the cervix are frozen using a special flat instrument about the size of a quarter.

This is quite safe procedure, and there are only rare complications of cryocautery of the cervix except for the cramping .

After cryocautery, one can expect a rather profuse vaginal discharge for two to three weeks, it is completely normal.
It is advised, that one can take ibuprofen (Advil or Nuprin) two hours prior to the procedure ,as this will help prevent the discomfort of the cramps.
As such, There is no reason for the mini pill to be discontinued. You can safely take mini pill.

Mini pill only contains progestogen, and would not affect this procedure. You can safely continue with this pill.
No need to get panic, that mini pill, would affect this procedure. You can safely use this pill.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm just going to start mini pill for first time so this will not alter the face of the cervix which the gynocoligest is going to deal with
Dear XXXXX, I can understand your concern.

Well, Mini-Pills are progesterone-only birth control pills.
One of the common side effect with this pill is- irregular bleeding, spotting between periods or no periods at all.

Other possible side effects of the Mini-Pill are mood changes, headaches, and lowered sex drive.

But as such, this would not affect face of cervix.
You can discuss this issue, and go for Cryocautery of cervix.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you are saying it is ok to start mini pill before cryocautery it will not make any difference to the procudure

Yes, you can start this pill, and it would not affect this procedure.
You may experience side effects, as described in previous post.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician