Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

urea/bun 11.9 and creatinine is 153 how do I lower these

Customer Question

urea/bun 11.9 and creatinine is 153 how do I lower these fast and safe.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Do you have a prior result for comparison?
If so, when was this done and what was the results?
Have you had any evaluation done to determine the reason for the results?
Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is chronic medicines I just had a checkup these two things are the only thing that was high glucose 5.61 uric acid 366.4 albumin 46.2 tot bilirubin 15.8 ast(got) 29 alt(gpt) 38 ggt 17 choles 4.94 tri 1.59 hdl 1.07 ldl 3.15 sodium 142 potassium 4.6 I do take blood press and bloodsugar med

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider when assessing the BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine. These tests are primarily assessments of kidney function, and are a reflection of poor kidney function, but it is also possible for these tests to be elevated because of other conditions that affect the ability of the kidneys to function properly. Common examples of these other conditions include a variety of conditions that cause dehydration, as there is less blood flow to the kidneys, and congestive heart failure, also because of poor blood flow because of decreased heart pumping action.

The proper treatment would depend upon the cause of the elevated tests. If you also had a physical examination when these tests were done, and the exam was normal, then it would be unlikely that this would be due to congestive heart failure, as there would typically be findings on examination.

It would be reasonable to try to increase fluid intake and repeat the blood tests to see if there is improvement, as would be seen with dehydration, as this would be the easiest quick intervention that may be helpful. However, if the blood tests do not improve with better hydration, then there should be further assessment as to the specific cause.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.