Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My metabolism has been out of synch for a while. There may

Customer Question

My metabolism has been out of synch for a while. There may be hormone links as have had hysterctomy with ovaries left in. Am now 56. I have had thyroid tests done and they come back as normal. recently following a few days of gripey pains I became week and my appetite wained and my heart raced. tests done on heart ok. Then the anxiety worsened, muscles ache, shakey hands, foggy brain at times. It seems related to my digestion/ bowel. GPs saying it is anxiety following a period of stress. It could be but there is thyroid in the family and I have had a period of fybromalgia in the past. I have not had anything but the basic thyroid test and my GPs are convinced it is all down to anxiety and are not seeing the need on my results to investigate further. It just feels like my body is taking over and despite my trying relaxation, distraction etc. that it is outside my control. Can I get more tests done to confirm that all is ok with my thyroid.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
What tests have already been done?
Do you have the results of the tests?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for delay contacting GP.

Nov 2012 :2.02 MIU/L and 12.6.13.:0.626 MI/L

Were both of these TSH levels?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Thank you for the additional information.

Both of these TSH levels are well within the normal range, and the most recent level (0.626 MIU/L) is low in the normal range. Since the TSH runs opposite to thyroid hormone functioning (a high TSH indicates hypothyroidism), this level clearly shows that there is no concern about the possibility of hypothyroidism.

In persons with normal values that are borderline on the high side, it may be appropriate in persons with worrisome symptoms to perform T4 and T3 levels for a more complete evaluation of the thyroid. But in someone with a TSH value that is low in the normal range, there is no additional value in obtaining the levels of T4 and T3. In that sense, your GP is correct that further testing of the thyroid is not medically indicated.

If the question, though, is whether a patient can request that tests be done that are not medically indicated, the answer is yes, but it will frequently require that the person pursue that evaluation through a private physician at their own expense. There is an online resource to assist people in the UK in finding a private physician by specialty at http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/privatespecialists/find-a-doctor/.

It is also important to note that many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism can also occur from menopause. Since you have had a hysterectomy, you have lost the primary sign of menopause (cessation of periods), but these other symptoms could be due to menopause.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why would the results change ie from 2 point to under? does that link with menopausal changes?

There is no reason for why any lab will vary within the normal range. It is the essence of the normal range for any lab that the value can fluctuate within the normal range, and there is no reason for concern about such fluctuation. There is no level of TSH within the normal range that links to menopause.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was just wondering why my results levels fluctuated is it due to time of day tested?

There is no reason for why a test fluctuates within the normal range, so it also would not be due to the time of day.

There are certain hormones that do fluctuate by time of day, but when these hormones are checked, they are drawn at a specific time of day. For example, cortisol (the primary adrenal hormone) fluctuates widely during the course of the day, so the standard test is to check a morning cortisol level. However, this is not true for TSH, which is why it can be checked any time of day.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The anxiety issues seemed to arrive after the days of lower abdominal pain followed by lethargy, loss of appetite and heart racing. I got better then the episodes of anxiety returned, wained and now the worse is shakeyness and tingling/ nervy feelings throughout my body and cramping in the bowel. Can anything thyroid linked trigger this?

Can thyroid disease cause these symptoms, yes, but since you know your TSH levels, it would not be the cause of symptoms in you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you.

You're welcome.