Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

hi im a 52 year old female I have problems with frequency in

hi im a 52 year old female I have problems with frequency in having to urinate during the night? resulting in waking 3/4 times a night to go to the loo? also lower right abdo aching feeling radiating into lower right of back? would be grateful for any sugestions as to what it could be before wasting gp's time ? regards Heather
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 years ago.
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i believe i can help you.

Please answer a few queries first.

1)Since how many days have you been having this problem?

2) Have you been drinking too much of coffee, aerated drinks, alcoholic beverages . tea during the day, especially at night or late evenings ?

3)Are you a diabetic ?

4) Are you taking any drugs ? If yes please mention them ?

5) Do you have burning or irritation sensation while passing urine ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi I have just had bloods taken and all good no diabetes,i drink as little as possible during the evening? usually last drink about 8pm,dont drink a lot of fizzy drinks, meds taken in morning,ramipril,omeperazole,and a water tablet,bendroflumethiazde 2.5mgs,and the pill.this problem has escalated over 4 weeks,no burning or irritation,but sometimes have to force to empty bladder?

Thanks for the inputs.

Please answer one more query -- did you also have urine routine microscopy test done along with your blood tests.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes these were all done aprox 3 weeks ago all came back ok?

1) Do you also feel a lot of thirst especially for cold water/ liquids ?

2) is this frequent micturition / passing of urine restricted only to night or have you noticed a persistent pattern in rise of micturition / passign of urine throughout the day ?

3) Were you also checked for serum electrolytes ans urine osmolarity ?

4) Do you feel dehydrated due to this ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no thirst,night time only,not sure if was tested for anything else? no dehydration,constant aching now in right ovary area and lower right of back?

Thanks for the inputs.

Well your symptoms are suggestive of the possibility of a concretion/stone/ dust particles having been accumulated in the right kidney or the ureter ( the tube that brings urine from the kidney to the bladder).

The duration of 4 weeks, accompanying aches/ heaviness in the back region which radiate lower down are significant findings along with increased micturition at night all of which suggest of a renal ( kidney) or ureteric stone or concretion or small dust particles which when traverse down the excretory path produce the radiating pain downwards the abdomen.

So i believe it will be a good idea to consult your GP and ask for proper examination along with Ultrasonography of whole abdomen to rule out or rule in this proposed possibility. If this evaluation / investigation confirms the presence of stone or concretion in the kidney or ureter then you will have to drink lots of fluids like coconut water and cranberry juices to make the stone/ concretion pass out of your system.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards.