Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Third time of submitting question hope you are receiving -

Customer Question

Third time of submitting question hope you are receiving - went to dentist on Thursday with broken tooth and severe pain - tooth infected so he prescribed 5 day course of Metronidazole 400mg Erythromycin 500mg - since starting taking I have developed severe headache and pain behind the eyes - what would you advise please? My email address is [email protected] - thankyou.
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Headache is a known side effect of metronidazole. Eye pain or pain behind the eye can also occur due to mild inflammation of the optic nerve.

Please take an Ibuprofen (Advil) and see if the pain decreases. If after 1 hour, you continue to have the pain or if the pain recurs after the effect of the Advil has gone down ( in about 6-8 hours), please consult your doctor - you may need to stop the Mteronidazole.

I hope this helps.