DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had swollen ankles for some time. After being prescribed

Customer Question

I have had swollen ankles for some time. After being prescribed diuretic pills my right ankle was cured but my left ankle is still very swollen by the evening. I am 88 and had a hip replacement in Feb 2012. I am on warfarin 3 1/2 milligrams daily and 3 mgms of prednisolone daily (for polymyalgia rheumatica). Until recently I had no problem in playing 18 holes of golf, now even 9 holes with a buggy makes me tired. I have thought of seeing a vascular surgeon.
! know lying down with my feet up reduces the ankle swelling but doing this all the time is no way to live.
I have heard that Capisette has removed ankle swelling for someone.
Is this something I should take or have you any better suggestions.
Thank you XXXXX [email protected]
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
first of all, have you had an ultrasound of the legs

One leg more swollen than the other can be serious
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I have and GP continued prescribing Co-amilofruse pills.
David Boult. My right ankle is now quite normal as in the morning is my left one, but by the evening the latter ios very swollen

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I had an ultrasound scan. I was told to continue taking Co-amilofruse
pills. Earlier similar pills had removed the swelling from my right ankle, but the left one, though mot swollen when I get out of bed, is still very swollen by the evening. Hope this answers your question. David Boult

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
How long ago was this ultrasound?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have replied but your website is not working properly and you may have charged me twice. Please review m question and see if you can now reply. David Boult

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

2 or 3 months David Boult

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
So what is your height and weight?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Height 5 ft 11 inches. Weight 12 stone 11 lbs

Do hope I can have a reply soon to my question. I seem to have managed this badly,but when you said the problem might be serious, I started to worry and as a result have had a sleepless night.

David Boult

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Swelling is usually from bad veins.
The ultrasound is needed to rule out clots.

Kidney disease and heart disease, as well as thyroid disease, need to be excluded.

In this case it is bad veins, and not serious as long as you do not have a clot.

Treatment is then compression stockings, walking and weight loss as indicated.

A vascular surgeon is a helpful consult, but surgery is not indicated unless the problem is severe and unresponsive.