Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 52 years old and have had my gallbalder removed when I

Customer Question

I am 52 years old and have had my gallbalder removed when I was 21.
I am itchy on the back of my head my anus and the inside of my uthera tube inside my penis. The most upsetting symptom is my upset stomach for which \I have heart burn. I was given a prescription of Teva-rabeprazole 20mg. It helped a little but not that much. Could I have a kidney infection?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.

Dr. D. Love :

Hello.

Dr. D. Love :

Are you having any other symptom from passing urine?

Dr. D. Love :

For example, any pain or burning of the urethra with urination?

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

I feel the urine passing when I urinating because of the itchiness but no pain

Dr. D. Love :

Itchiness of the urethra is not a typical symptom of a urine or kidney infection.

Dr. D. Love :

It is more common for an infection to cause pain or burning.

Dr. D. Love :

Urine infections are also much less common in men than in women.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

what could be causing all this itchness

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

back of my head as well

Dr. D. Love :

The most common cause of itching is from some form of an allergy.

Dr. D. Love :

It is also possible to get diffuse itching related to chronic liver disease.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

what is diffuse itching

Dr. D. Love :

The liver clears a variety of impurities from the blood, as when these impurities build up in the system it can cause diffuse itching.

Dr. D. Love :

Diffuse itching means itching that is occurring in multiple places over the body.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

would that cause an upset stomach

Dr. D. Love :

An upset stomach is not common with allergies, but can occur with liver disease.

Dr. D. Love :

However, with the heartburn, it is more likely due to an acid irritation problem.

Dr. D. Love :

An acid irritation problem, though, would not cause the itching in the other places.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

but the medication does not seem to help. Do you think this is two different problems the itchiness even under my arms and the upset stomach?

Dr. D. Love :

It is more likely to be two different problems, as the common causes of itching do not typically cause heartburn.

Dr. D. Love :

But if the itching was already present, then it cannot be blamed on the drug.

Dr. D. Love :

An antihistamine is the usual first-line medicine to take for allergies.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

the itching and chestpain seemed to start at the same time. I am assuming it is heartburn since the doctor prescribed that medication.

Dr. D. Love :

From the standpoint of the heartburn, it is reasonable to first try a medicine such as the rabeprazole, but if the symptoms persist, it would be appropriate to consider an endoscopy, a tube that is used to look at the inside of the esophagus and stomach.

Dr. D. Love :

It is not a proper assumption that chest pain is heartburn.

Dr. D. Love :

There are many different causes of chest pain, including acid irritation syndromes, but it is really only a burning sensation or burning pain in the chest that is properly called heartburn.

Dr. D. Love :

If the rabepreazole was started for a non-burning type of chest pain and did not help, then it would be more important to consider an endoscopy.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

there is so much burbing. Sometimes the pain gets worse with burping, sometime it gets better

Dr. D. Love :

Chest pain that is worse with burping is more typical of an acid irritation syndrome, even if the pain is not a burning sensation, so that is likely why the rabeprazole was tried.

Dr. D. Love :

There also is a germ that can cause a poor response to the rabeprazole.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

what germ

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

does this go hand and hand with the itchyness

Dr. D. Love :

No, the germ does not typically cause the itching that you describe.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

should I try a over the counter antihistamine

Dr. D. Love :

Yes, any over the counter antihistamine would be fine.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

thank you

Dr. D. Love :

You're welcome.

Dr. D. Love :

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

does liver disease and the itchness go hand and hand\

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

and upset stomch

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

stomach

Dr. D. Love :

Yes, the liver disease can cause itching and an upset stomach, as noted above.

JACUSTOMER-nsezk284- :

thank you I will look into this further with my family doctor

This question was posted again on the list of pending questions, but I do not see any further questions.

If you had another question, could you enter the question again?

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am compensated for my time.