Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

On 10 mg bisoprolol for AF. Dose increased over 7 yrs. Feel

Customer Question

On 10 mg bisoprolol for AF. Dose increased over 7 yrs. Feel very achey, exhausted and breathless. Is this normal?
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 3 years ago.

Dr.Saleem :

Dr.Saleem :

Welcome to JA!

Dr.Saleem :

Thanks for the question.

Dr.Saleem :

Plz enter the chat.

Dr.Saleem :

It is unlikely for bisoprolol to produce these effects though

Dr.Saleem :

shortness of breath can occur rarely in some patients who develop bronchoconstriction or wheezing

Dr.Saleem :

In either case you must report these symptoms to your physician to examine you for the side effects or for alternative diagnosis

Dr.Saleem :

How long have you developed these symptoms?

Dr.Saleem :

Is your heart beat still irregular or it was converted to normal rhythm?

Dr.Saleem :

If your heart rate is irregular and you are not taking any blood thinners like aspirin or warfarin, it is possible to develop thrombi in heart and embolism

Dr.Saleem :

are you there?

Dr.Saleem :

So it is possible in such situation to have problem ranging from simple wheezing due to bisoprolol to serious problem like embolism, hence it is advisable to consult your physician to run an examination an necessary tests to confirm the cause of your symptoms and to guide you for treatment adjustments or starting new treatment

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 3 years ago.

Feel free to ask more questions...
Use reply to expert to communicate..

regards
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 3 years ago.

Hi Margaret!

The AF characterized by irregular heart beat is most commonly found in patients the previous High blood pressures or hypertensive heart disease. This condition is treated by converting the heart beat which is irregular to regular rhythm with help of drugs or DC cardioversion once it is established that there is no clot in the heart.

The bisoprolol can be used to prevent redevelopment of AF or (in case where it is not possible to convert heart rhythm to normal) to control the heart rate. IF the heart rhythm is nor normalized and remains irregular for long, one develops the risk of formation of blood clot in the heart which can spread to different body parts if not treated.

So Coming back to your question, the symptoms of achey, exhausted and breathlessness though are not highly likely side effects of bisoprolol but exhaustion and breathlessness can occur like mentioned above in those who develop broncho-constriction. Exhaustion can also occur if the bisoprolol causes heart rate to decrease more than desired or causes low blood pressures.

In addition, other diagnosis like pulmonary embolism (travelling of heart clot to lungs) can also produce breathlessness and exhaustion, other symptoms in such situation could be chest pain, hemoptysis (coughing up of blood). this is a serious condition and requires management in emergency room.

Furthermore, Achey, exhaustion and breathlessness can also be symptoms of lower respiratory tract infection, anemia, low cardiac output states..

So i would advice to consult your physician to report these symptoms for evaluation of the cause and proper diagnosis.

Feel free to ask more questions,

regards