Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My brother a paraplegic had his right leg amputated on 25 July

Customer Question

My brother a paraplegic had his right leg amputated on 25 July 2013 and now he has the Staph bacteria MRSA he has open bed soares and it is looking bad he is in isolation at present and on treatment is this a serious bacteria
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, MRSA (methicillin resistant Staph aureus) is a very worrisome germ.

It is worrisome for the individual that is infected because MRSA is more difficult to treat. The MRSA is identified as being resistant to the usual germs used to treat Staph, so it requires a stronger antibiotic, that also usually must be provided intravenously for any serious infection. There are some oral antibiotics that have some activity against MRSA, but they are relatively weak and are not used for serious infections.

The MRSA is also a more aggressive germ than the normal Staph aureus (also called methicillin sensitive Staph aureus, or MSSA). The MSSA is a common germ on normal skin and is a common germ to cause a variety of infections of the skin. Even the MSSA can sometimes cause a more invasive infection, such as sepsis, but the risk is greater with MRSA.

The germ is also serious from the perspective of the hospital, because the germ can be spread to other patients in the hospital. The isolation is done to reduce the risk of transmission to other people in the hospital.

From the perspective of the bed sores, it is not surprising that the bed sores are getting worse if there is an infection with MRSA, as the infection will make it difficult for any healing to occur properly. At this point, it is important to treat the MRSA with a strong intravenous antibiotic. Supportive care, including relieving pressure on the site of the bed sore, local dressing changes, and maximizing nutrition will also help promote healing, but these interventions will typically not be effective until the infection is well controlled.

As for whether blood tests will help in determining whether the antibiotics are effective, that would depend upon the amount of systemic response to the infection. If the skin infection is localized and not causing much of a systemic infection, then the blood tests may be normal. However, if the infection is causing a systemic reaction, then the white blood count (WBC) of the blood could be elevated, and if the WBC is elevated in any infection, monitoring the WBC will reflect the success of the antibiotic in getting control of the infection.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and a complete answer. If I have completely answered your question, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I can be compensated for my time. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your quick reply and I will keep in touch with you

You're welcome.

If I have answered your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am compensated for my time in assisting you. If there are any follow-up questions, you can still ask the questions after providing a positive rating.