Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I had an operation for a rare condition of my age (45 years

Customer Question

I had an operation for a rare condition of my age (45 years old) called esophageal diverticulum. I had keyhole surgery which was to staple off the diverticulum and perform a heller's myotomy on my muscles surrounding the sphincter of the stomach. Unfortunately it did not work and I ended up back in hospital twice for pneumonia and pleuritic fluid surrounding my right lung. This operation has not worked and I am frightened to go back to my consultant because he said if it did not work I would have to go be in to hospital for open surgery for the same disease. Can I just put up with not always swallowing my food and can it end up being fatal if I do not have further surgery?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--when did you have the operation and can you tell me more specifically why you say it didn't work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had the operation on the 20th September 2012. It has got to the point of once again I can not always swallow food (as preoperative) and have to sometimes regurgitate it and then I can eat a reasonable healthy meal straight afterwards.The problem with swallowing is getting to the same degree as before I had the corrective surgery. Certain foods like pasta and potatoes always cause problems, but I can put up with these symptoms as long as there is a good chance of it not becoming fatal, i.e rupture of the diverticulum.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Symptoms of not been able to swallow certain foods like pasta and potatoes, or anything of a solid form have come back to the same degree as preoperative - September 20th 2012. It happens often, not necessarily on a daily basis. I do not want to go through any complications again after surgery, but if there is a chance of the condition worsening to the extent of it likely to be fatal, I need to know the facts. The underlying worry is that I have a daughter of five years old and me being in hospital and so ill post op' made my daughter unhappy being without her Mummy.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
So sorry for the delay--my computer was down. Have you had any studies since the surgery to determine exactly what's going on?