Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

I have stopped drinking how long will it take for my liver

Customer Question

I have stopped drinking how long will it take for my liver to be normal when should i take my next blood test
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

thanks for this question

Well first of all congratulations on stopping drinking. That must have been difficult

To answer this, I have to know how much and for how long you drank.

also, how bad were your liver tests?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I see you're still online but haven't yet responded. Were your liver enzymes elevated and if so when was that test done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

had a test 9 months ago liver function slightly high doctor told me to drink less had a test 6 months ago liver function was ok im due for another test soon

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK So did you cut back or stop your drinking before the test 6 months ago? How long have you been drinking this time around?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i did cut back my drinking 6 months ago but i have been drinking for 3 months but havent had a drink in the last 5 days

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--it's possible that your liver enzymes aren't elevated at all from the return to the drinking but if they were, it would most likely take at least a month from you're stopping drinking for them to return to normal levels. If you're drinking has ever raised your enzymes my strong suggestion is that you abstain completely from alcohol since your liver is sensitized and in time continued drinking could lead to alcoholic hepatitis and possibly cirrhosis
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

The Professional has left you an answer. Please remember to rate the answer given once you are satisfied.