Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

If I had an headache, for which I took medication to sleep

Customer Question

If I had an headache, for which I took medication to sleep it off for a few hours. And after waking up again, the headache has disappear, leaving just the after effects of the medication, I would normally get up go to the gym and do some light exercises. I have experience that doing that usually clears away everything, leaving me fit to return to work. Would you advise for or against it?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Hello and welcome. I am sorry you waited so long for a reply. If your headache is gone, there is no reason not to go to the gym for a light workout. If you are still experiencing the effects of the pain medication that you took for the headache, you will want to be careful about the exercises that you do, so that you do not injure yourself.

Often headaches are made worse with lifting weights due to straining, but if this is not the case for you, it is fine to have a light workout. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tks for responding. Just to clarify, I am facing a disciplinary hearing regarding going to the gym for a light work out after I recovered from the headache. (No weightlifting), and need an expert medical opinion regarding this issue. I have always relied on exercises to aid in my recovery from any illness, and have always found that it works for me. So you are prepared to state that in you medical opinion light exercises is advisable depending on the state of recovery and the individual?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but this is question and answer site only. It does clearly state, in Just Answers disclaimer as well as in the first line of my response that a Dr/patient relationship is not established. We answer questions and give information only. We cannot testify on your behalf or verify information for an employer. You will want to visit a Dr in person for this type of service. Good luck.