Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Hi My son is 14 months old and we taking his temperature

Customer Question

My son is 14 months old and we taking his temperature via thermometer under his armpit his current temperature is 38.5 and has been between 38 and 38.5 for the last 10 hours.
His behavior is normal and he is eating, drinking, smiling and playing as normal. Do i need to take him to the emergency room? he has been taking ibuprofen today and he has no other symptoms.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Anything above 37.5 is said to be fever. Generally the cause is infection. Our body immune system is capable of fighting the infections and getting rid of them. I am happy that there are no signs of tiredness/ dehydration with him. There is no need to go to ER as of now. You need to talk to your doctor tomorrow.

Few signs should prompt ER visit - Temperature above 39/ vomiting or diarrhea/ constant crying/ feeling excessively sleepy or not taking food.

As of now - Keep him well hydrated/ keep the room cool.

Please do not worry, he will be fine.

Best

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more details. I aim to provide 'Excellent' service. Did I give it to you? If so do consider to rate my answer.

Best