Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I have been on 4 and a half mg prednisone for almost 2 yrs.

Customer Question

I have been on 4 and a half mg prednisone for almost 2 yrs. There was a mixup in my prescription & I ended up taking 12 & a half mg prednisone for about 3 weeks (the 5mg tabs looked very like the 1mg tabs ) How quickly can I get back to 4 and a halfmg?
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

The ideal way of tapering prednisolone is 2.5 or 5 mg every week till you reach the required dose. Since your dose is not very high at 12 and half mg, I suggest that you taper at 2.5 mg every week. So you should be able to get back to your original dose in 3 weeks.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But if I'veonly been on 12 and a half mg for 3 weeks why do I have to taper down so slowly

Since your initial dose is low, tapering at 5mg per week may be too fast, although 5mg every week is the standard tapering dose. You may get withdrawal symptoms.

However, you can try tapering at 5mg the first week which will bring you to 7 and a half mg. If you do not get withdrawal symptoms, you can taper off to 4 and a half the next week. But if you do get withdrawal symptoms, you will have to switch back to 12 and half and then taper back slowly at 2.5 mg every week.