Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My 85 year old mother is in QE hospital CDU. Admitted Friday

Customer Question

My 85 year old mother is in QE hospital CDU. Admitted Friday due to sudden psychotic
turn. Is hearing voices and delirious halucinations. Not slept or eaten properley for 2 days. We sat with her for 6 hours and could not communicate. The hospital want us to do the
same today.Question how can we obtain an emergency section?(they say they have no psychiatrist. Question how long shoud we expect her not to eat sleep etc They keep saying she needs to have a brain scan and isnt calm enough. Please help.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Procedures are different in every institution however, the staff and the doctors on call while they wait for a psychiatrist to show up should keep your mother out of her psychotic turn and this can be easily done by giving her mood stabilizers and safe anti psychotic drugs like Haloperidol and anxiolytics like Alprazolam etc.. Other than that she can be given nutrition via intravenous route by giving her essential constituents of diet like proteins, carbohydrates and fat. A nasogastric tube can be placed to help feed her semi solid foods through it - while she is calm she will tolerate the tube well.
However, if the hospital places her on anti psychotic drugs which can be prescribed by an Internist on call as well, she will be calm enough to eat and drink properly.
Psychiatrists are never on emergency calls nor they are in emergency rooms. They are always requested to see the patients on regular basis - but that does not mean that patients who have panic attacks and psychotic overturns are left untreated until a psychiatrist has seen them.
Please leave a positive rating if satisfied with the assist.
If you want further information or have more queries, reply back without rating.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks my mom though is refusing drugs and food and drinks etc

very agitated so she has had no treatment.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

I understand and this is a situation often encountered in patients who have psychosis and are not in a state of mind to decide what is best for them. So, the next of kin or their guardian can take the decision for them and the doctor in charge can discuss treatment options with the family, next of kin or the guardian.
A section 17 leave pf absence should only be given by the RMO or the detaining authority if the patient is willing to or consents to treatment while in the community since treatment can not be enforced on the patient while under section 17 leave. So, obtaining a section 17 will reside on the RMO or the detaining authority's hand unless your mother consents to treatment. However, a patient who is not consenting to treatment in the hospital usually does not comply to medication outside it either and management by community or family becomes very difficult.
Best.