Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

Hallo, i have a diagnosis for a.d.d. I have tried ritalin,

Customer Question

Hallo, i have a diagnosis for a.d.d. I have tried ritalin, but found it made me anxious. I would like to try modafinil as I suffer from day time sleepiness and fatigue and I cannot focus or concentrate. I know that modafinil has an off label use for a.d.d....is it one of those drugs that they wont prescribe in the u.k?
I asked to try wellbutrin and was told that it was not liscensed for use in the u.k.
I was on prozac for a long time, but had to come off it it in the end due to side affects.
I have also taken mirtazapin( i put on 3 stone) and citalopram....I have tried all sorts infact.
I really want to try modafinil, but will I just be told it's not u.k. liscensed?
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Vikas :

Dr. Vikas :

Modafinil can be useful for symptoms like excessive sleepiness, fatigue, poor concentration.

Dr. Vikas :

It is available in U.K

Dr. Vikas :
Dr. Vikas :

You can get more information by clicking this link below

Dr. Vikas :

It is probably approved for use in Narcolepsy but I am not sure whether or not it is approved for ADD in U.K or not.

Dr. Vikas :

your doctor can guide you accordingly in this and can prescribe it to you if it is approved.

Dr. Vikas :

Bupropion is also available in UK by the name of Zyban but is probably approved for smoking cessation only.

JACUSTOMER-63n2vskm- :

Sorry, but I just paid £54 to ask if modafinil can be used in the u.k for a.d.d. and I am afraid that I am not willing to pay considering your answer is that you're not sure?..........neither am I sure, that's why I just paid through the nose to ask you!!

Dr. Vikas :

Thanks for your reply. See, it is approved for Narcolepsy but to the best of my knowledge, not for A.D.D

Dr. Vikas :

- RECOMMENDED FOR RESTRICTED USE

Dr. Vikas :

I wonder, have you ever tried Atomoxetine. It is also a very good alternative for treating A.D.D symptoms as a substitute to Ritalin.

Dr. Vikas :

It is approved by USFDA for treating A.D.D and is also available in UK.

Dr. Vikas :

please reply as I would like to discuss with you more about your question.

Dr. Vikas :

Ritalin being an stimulant has a known side effect of causing anxiety symptoms

Dr. Vikas :

but Atomoxetine that is Strattera does not cause anxiety as a side effect as seen clinically.

Dr. Vikas :

moreover, Modafinil is not used as a primary medicine for treating A.D.D. It can be used as an additional medicine in some cases.

JACUSTOMER-63n2vskm- :

I have already replied but got no response. I asked if modafinil can be prescribed for a.d.d. in the u.k and the response was that he was not sure. I am not paying £54 for that.

Dr. Vikas :

so, for ADD, symptoms, you will be needing either a stimulant or a medicine like Strattera

Dr. Vikas :

see, if you don't want to pay, it is perfectly alright with me

Dr. Vikas :

but I would like to know your thoughts on my suggestion.

Dr. Vikas :

are you online?

Dr. Vikas :

will wait for your reply. If you want to discuss further, please let me know.