Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

Hello my son was tripped over at school while playing.football

Customer Question

Hello my son was tripped over at school while playing.football resulting in a displaced fracture of the tibia, the teacher on.duty made him stand up on it which caused the bone to displace further, he was in non weightbearing cast for 7 weeks followed by 3 weeks below knee cast, he received no physiotherapy after cast was removed, my question is this the leg that sustained the fracture is noticeably smaller the foot and.ankle also is a different shape, and just over a whole shoe size smaller, my once very active son who used to play football and boxing is now.left limping and.constant ankle pain I requested a second opinion and was told he has severs disease and the problem was in my head! The A &E took x ray only of the tibia I felt that my son had suffered a break in the ankle/foot area but my concerns were. Brushed off with being am over protective mother! This all happened july 2011 and to this day my son is still limping.and suffering pain, is it too late to get another opinion and xray of the ankle area?? Would there be any calcium build up to signify a old fracture?
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Cameron :

are you still there

Dr. Cameron :

please type and hit reply

Dr. Cameron :

no, it is not too late to get an xray of the ankle

Dr. Cameron :

the question is, what can they do with the information that they found?

Dr. Cameron :

If they found a deformity, they may need to break the bone again and reset it

Dr. Cameron :

did you see what I wrote?

Customer :

Dr. Cameron :

did you see what I wrote?

Customer :

Yes I have read it, I just feel that my son is suffering unduly, he has.limited movement in.his ankle and this is.not fair on a lively 9 year old boy,

Dr. Cameron :

I agree with you

Dr. Cameron :

He needs to see a podiatrist

Dr. Cameron :

They can do an Xray or a MRI if needed

Dr. Cameron :

And they can make the decision to do surgery if they feel he will benefit

Dr. Cameron :

Luckily he is young, which means he can heal well

Customer :

Yes and he really is.a trooper and pushes himself to the very limits.which then means he is in pain for few days after, he gets very frustrated that he cant keep up with the other kids, he was once top of the sports lessons there wasnt a child who could beat him in running races he was the top footie player in his squad boxing he.was level with kids 5 years older than him, but now his.level of fitness has dropped severly his temper has hit the roof my once laid back placid boy has now become a ball of anger he isnt a small lad and when he is kicking off with other kids it takes all my strength to get him away and calm down, then I get his tears of frustration, the psychological damage is worrying me more that the extra pounds hes gained,

Dr. Cameron :

well, check out the podiatrist

Dr. Cameron :

you have nothing to lose at this point and everything to gain- and hopefully it will help him psychologically because he will feel something is being done

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service? :-)?

Dr. Cameron :

hello?

Customer :

Where is the poditrist?

Dr. Cameron :

you need to find a podiatrist

Dr. Cameron :

your GP can give you a recommendation

Dr. Cameron :

hello?

Dr. Cameron :

Did I provide you with excellent service?

Dr. Cameron :

hello?