Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My son is nearly 6 and for the first 6 months of his 1st year

Customer Question

My son is nearly 6 and for the first 6 months of his 1st year at school he was fine at going to the toilet for a poo on his own then out of the blue he now keeps pooing himself ive asked him why this is happening but he tells me all sorts of answers the main one being " im lazy " but I know he has heard me say this numerous times to him . nothing has changed at home so im not sure why he is doing it. Please help me as im at my wits end. Thanks Dawn
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

This is somewhat common in boys of school age and is associated with constipation and emotional disturbance from something that is going on at school or at home It is almost always treatable.

Constipation should be prevented and good bowel habits promoted with a diet high in fiber, fruits, vegetables and whole grains. A stool softener can be used if needed. It helps to try to help the child have a bowel movement before school using a hot drink with breakfast like hot cocoa or herbal tea with sugar.

Parents should be supportive and refrain from criticism or discouragement of the child. Help from mental health professional may be necessary.

I hope this helps.