Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have recently been suffereing with a numb penis, im in a

Customer Question

I have recently been suffereing with a numb penis, im in a new relationship and having ragular sex every otherday, but prior to this i use to masturbate quite alot, could this ne the cause lf the problem, its vertually numb to touch now, i can still get a good erection but there isnt much feeling from any of it, im no circumsised either
I hope you can help
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have pain in lower back or weakness/ tingling at lower limbs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a paint in my lower back as stand up from bending slightly but only bery slight
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Hello Daniel,

Numbness of the penis indicates either pinching or irritation of the nerve concerned {Pudendal} or reduced blood supply to the penis.

The cause for abnormal nerve supply can be - irritation of the nerve roots at the spine level or at its course/ diabetes or vitamin deficiency. Reduced blood supply can be due to thrombus in the artery/ atherosclerosis.

Other causes like anxiety, stress, psychological causes also need to be looked for. However I would like to rule out abnormal nerve supply as my first though with you.

I am happy that you are getting good erection. It indicates that the nerves concerned for erection are fine. I would get physical evaluation by a urologist along with few investigations like blood and urine analysis/ doppler study for penis/ MRI Lumbar spine to get more answers.

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ stay away from anxiety or stress {Yoga, meditation help}.

Wish you well.

Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Shud i rest my penis then?
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
No need to rest the penis or no need to avoid sexual activity.

You just need to avoid jerks to your back/ avoid sudden bending, avoid lifting heavy weights. Have balanced diet {rich in vitamins}.

Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im finding it diffucult to orgasm during sex though, i can get an erection but then i loose it after about 10 minutes and then its numb, its as if im holding someone elses penis
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
I do understand.

Investigations will give us more answers. Do not worry, all the causes are treatable and you will be fine soon.

Best
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry that you were not happy with my answer. Let me know if you have any specific query so that I can explain it in more details.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im scared
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Daniel,

Please calm down. I do understand what you must be going through. I do see many patients daily having back pain with associated symptoms of numbness at the penile region or lower limbs. The cause is disc bulge. It is treatable cause and the symptoms vanish soon.

You just need to see a doctor - find the cause and get it treated. There is nothing serious and I am sure you will be free of all the symptoms soon.

Best
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

This is Dr. David

I am another expert here at this site.

I have another opinion.

I don't think the damage of the nerves is from the spine.

the dorsal penile nerve runs along the top of the penis and controls sensation to the penis.

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Innervation_of_the_Human_Glans_Penis.pdf

if you had spine impingement, this would also affect erections, but you are able to have erections.

I suspect that from your frequent prior masturbation and sexual activity, you have traumatized your dorsal penile nerve.

I would recommend that you take a break from masturbation and sex and allow your dorsal penile nerve to rest.

and see a neurologist and get magnesium blood testing to check your magnesium levels

low magnesium levels can affect nerve function as well.

also when you have sex or masturbate, make sure you don't put extra pressure on the dorsal nerve and dorsal vein which run at the very top of your penis.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its just strange because it constantly feels numb, even when flacid, i can feel sensation in the head but the shaft itself is numb, i can pintch it and not really feel it, during erections its just like feeling some1 elses
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
it sounds like you could have damaged your dorsal penile nerve which runs on the top part of the penis where the penis connects to the body.

this damage could have been from prior excessive masturbation or very aggressive sexual intercourse.

you need to get your magnesium blood levels drawn to check if your magnesium levels are low. this can also affect nerve function.

do you have a doctor you can see who can refer you to a urologist or neurology nerve doctor to examine your situation and check your magnesium level?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes i do, il rest it for a few days then go to the local gp
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
that is a good idea

I hope the numbness gets better

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was worried it would be like this forever
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
you have to see your doctor and get a neurological testing and blood testing.

hopefully the numbness will not be permanent and can get better

but you need an evaluation and blood testing to get more information about the situation.