Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am 60 years old living in Africa. A random Lab test on me

Customer Question

I am 60 years old living in Africa. A random Lab test on me in2005 Showed I was Hbv positive. It didn't mean anything to me then. This year 2013 I went for a random test Hbv is still present. I then did altar sound check on my liver and it was reported OK. Is this test sufficient or I need another test more accurate anc reliable. Michael Africa
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

sounds like you have been found to be hepatitis B virus positive

Dr. David :

which is very common in africa and in asia and is spread commonly in families when food and drink are shared.

Dr. David :

I am glad you had an ultrasound and your liver was reported ok.

Dr. David :

you need blood liver enzyme testing such as AST, ALT, LDH, Alk phos levels, but most likely these are normal as well.

Dr. David :

I am glad you are not having symptoms.

Dr. David :

many patients can live with positive hepatitis B for many many years and decades without symptoms.

Dr. David :

it would be a good idea for your family members to also get tested for hepatitis B virus as well.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.