Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My problem started about 5 weeks ago for no apparent reason:

Customer Question

My problem started about 5 weeks ago for no apparent reason: a sensation of sore throat similar to what comes with common cold, flu or tonsillitis. However, these illnesses always come with other symptoms besides sore throat - fever, runny nose and so on, at least in my case.

Here though, sore throat was and still is my only symptom. This is very unusual for me and it's the first time I see this.

Secondly, the duration of this condition is also unusual: common cold, flu or tonsillitis last a couple weeks at most. But here it's been 5 weeks and the symptom remains the same. In fact it is worse now, as it's more frequent and more intense. For example, at the beginning I felt pain or discomfort only when swallowing, now I feel it all the time.

Thirdly, when examining carefully my throat in a mirror, I see nothing abnormal. Searching “sore throat” in Google Images brings pictures of many types of sore throat: reddish throat, white spots, etc. I have none of this (this is a picture of my throat taken 10 minutes ago: http://uppix.net/LadKNi.jpg), so I guess my problem is located deeper in the esophagus.

Finally, in the last few days I tasted blood in the back of my mouth twice. It's highly unlikely that this comes from my gum or some tooth because I don't have this kind of problem now and haven't had for countless years.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that your age is 33 so a serious problem is less likely. But you must see a Dr as soon as possible. Cancer of the larynx, esophagus, or mouth is a possibility. You will need an endoscopy or scope to check this out.

The most common cause though would be seasonal allergies and/or sinus infection. This causes postnasal drip and irritation of the throat. Chronic sinus infection can cause bloody discharge. It requires antibiotic treatment.

I hope this points you in the right direction.