Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis on 20 August. Since then I have been taking four 5

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis on 20 August. Since then I have been taking four 500MG Pentasa tablets daily. All this week I have been suffering almost continuous diarreah to the extent I am wary of leaving the house.
Can I take Immodium while I am prescribed Pentasa?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, it would be OK to use Imodium along with the Pentasa; there are no adverse drug interactions between these two drugs. The only potential concern is the use of Imodium in someone with ulcerative colitis. The issue is that the Imodium, over time, can affect the muscular activity of the gut, particularly with longer use oft he drug. To some extent, this is true for everyone, but someone with ulcerative colitis would be more susceptible to the problem. Therefore, the usual advice for someone with ulcerative colitis would be to use it as little as possible. Certainly, if having continuous diarrhoea, as you describe, you would have sufficient symptoms to warrant the use of the Imodium, but for the long-term, the use should be as limited as possible, while still able to maintain a reasonable lifestyle.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.