Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

hi. 5 weeks ago out of nowhere i had a terrible pain in my ankle, it shoot right through f

Customer Question

hi. 5 weeks ago out of nowhere i had a terrible pain in my ankle, it shoot right through from one side of the ankle to the other, since the pain ha varied from intense to barley noticable when walking. last night the same thing happened to my calf muscle in my leg, The pain this morning is unbarable.
II have noticed that after sleeping or sitting for a while, my joints stiffen, I had been sitting on both occasions, but in neither case made any sudden movements. What could be wrong./
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Does this pain feel like an electric current?
Which pain killer you have tried and for how long?
Any numbness or tingling in that area?
Any backache?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Dr Hasan

The pain does feel like an electric current, leaving me unable to put any weight on it.

The pain killers I have tried were iprobram or how ever its spelt.

I have no back ache, but I hav a severe cough which seem to be getting worse,

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

Diane thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. As per symptoms the pain you are having is due to some pinched nerve. Pinched or compressed nerve specially in certain positions can cause this electric current type pain. Your cough is not associated with this ankle pain. The cough can be due to acid reflux, upper or lower respiratory tract infection etc. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab Aleve twice daily is really helpful and considered to be the initial treatment for such pains. It has inflammatory effect so helps to relieve the compression. For cough any over the counter cough syrup can be tried but if it becomes associated with fever then in that case you should see your doctor for further evaluation. If your pain persist then see your doctor to get examined and preferably you should see an orthopaedic surgeon but hopefully my suggestions will help you. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
the pain feels like an electric current, The pain killers I have had were the muscle swelling reducers Iprohaem.. don't know how its spelt.
The pain is unbearable.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I noticed your relist. Can I ask what you meant by your joints stiffening? If you saw a doctor about this did he have any comments about what's going on?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I have answered your question above. Please read it and let me know if you have further question.