Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

Hi im female 35 years old. Diagnosed with hpv in my throat

Customer Question

Hi im female 35 years old. Diagnosed with hpv in my throat since April this year.ive had 3 biopsies since then.only until 2 weeks ago results have come back invasive. Before the results they were just biopsies every 3 months watching and waiting.Now since its starting to invade. Radio has discharged me back to the ear nose throat consultant to form a plan for me. This means il b left to wait until further invasion. Im very upset. Im living in ireland and I feel the professionals haven't the tools or knowledge to take on my case. Please help
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

what did the biopsies come back showing?

Dr. David :

invasive what? invasive squamous cell carcinoma?

Dr. David :

what do you mean by radio? radiology?

Dr. David :

did they find a HPV related cancer in your throat?

Dr. David :

HPV can increase risks for tonsilar or oropharyngeal cancer in your throat.

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

Yes invasive cell carcinoma in voicebox. Its mainly on left side of throat. Its generalised so surgery is ruled out as this will make a mess of my voicebox. Consultant has told me this.

Dr. David :

I see

Dr. David :

I am a radiation oncology doctor

Dr. David :

sounds like you need to see a radiation oncology doctor and chemotherapy doctor as soon as possible to get both of these set up for you.

Dr. David :

to cure you of this voice box cancer.

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

Its due to hpv. Yes radiotherapy is also out of question

Dr. David :

HPV related throat cancers have a higher cure rate than tobacco related throat cancers.

Dr. David :

why is radiotherapy out of the question?

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

I have spoken to a radiologist. He said he is holding off on the radio. Then when a tumor develops they will strike with radiotherapy. Until then they are waiting

Dr. David :

I thought the biopsy already showed a tumor?

Dr. David :

invasive squamous cell carcinoma of the voice box?

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

Yes its true. Theres a change in cells in throat.ear nose and throat consultant wants to radio it. But the the radiologist wont. I supose they see I am so young.i feel they haven't enough skills

Dr. David :

that makes no sense.

Dr. David :

if you have a throat cancer of squamous cell carcinoma on the biopsy, it doesn't matter if you are young, you need radiation therapy.

Dr. David :

if you don't have squamous cell carcinoma on the biopsy, then you don't need radiation.

Dr. David :

it is that simple.

Dr. David :

you need to get a copy of the pathology report and find out what was found on the biopsy.

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

Im in such a position.

Dr. David :

can you get a copy of your biopsy report?

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

Not til 2 weeks time when I visit consultant

Dr. David :

you can all the hospital and get your biopsy report possibly sooner.

Dr. David :

you should be able to get your own medical reports

Dr. David :

you might need to call the pathology department directly to get a copy

Dr. David :

I would be happy to review the results with you.

Dr. David :

the biopsy might have only showed squamous cell carcinoma in situ which is not invasive.

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

Consultant said that pathology would have the last say whether I go for radiotherapy. If results come back that I dont need radio then the consultant will continue to watch and wait.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you with the results of the biopsy.

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions for me?

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

A consultant in Liverpool dr Terry Jones is willing to take me on.He is offering to scrape the virus. One step at a time. I just feel ireland has no idea what they are doing.

Dr. David :

I am not sure what he means by scrape the virus

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

Scraping. You havent heard?

Dr. David :

I have heard of scraping the vocal cords.

Dr. David :

but this is for polyps, not invasive vocal cord cancer

JACUSTOMER-k216qa69- :

3 months ago it was in situ. now it is showing signs of invasion

Dr. David :

why are you rating poor service?

Dr. David :

if there is vocal cord invasion, you need radiation therapy for your voice box to kill the cancer and preserve the voice.

Dr. David :

there is no waiting

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately It seems like you are unhappy with the answer. Please remember the Professional is trying to give you the best possible answer for your question. We like to encourage customers to respond to the Professional and tell them why the answer was not satisfactory and hopefully the Professional will be able to explain further.

Remember there are no additional charges for follow-up questions.

Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 3 years ago.

If you require any further information, as it seemed you were not happy let me know.

A Professional is waiting to assist you. Please let me know if you still need assistance or if you would like me to close your question.