Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

Hi, I am on the pill loestrin 20, and have been since march

Customer Question

I am on the pill loestrin 20, and have been since march 2013 to help treat the endometriosis I have I'm the pouch of Douglas and to prevent reoccurring ovarian cysts that I kept getting. I got the withdrawl bleed after the first pill free day and then it went to 3days then the last bleed took 4days and this months pill free week I failed to bleed however had period pains regularly for the whole week. I was on marvellon from dec 12- march/April 13 had to swap to loestrin 20 because of headaches it was causing. The bleed happened after 2pill free days and I took this 6years ago for 18,oaths and had no problems bleeds after 2 pill free days. I have an under active thyroid that was upped dosage in July 13 and diagnosed as anaemic in jpaugust 13 for which I am ne taking ferrous fume rate as sulphate gave e diarrhoea. I am not pregnant, is this is a cause for concern?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

I don't think it's cause for concern. It's pretty common for women to miss periods while on the pill, especially with low dose pills like Loestrin. It might be worthwhile to do a pregnancy test, since that's the other reason for missing a period. However it will probably be negative, and then there is no concern. It might even be good with your endometriosis, since if you don't have a period, perhaps that means that the endometriosis is also inactive like the endometrium (uterine lining).

As long as you know you're not pregnant, I would continue taking the Loestrin as usual. In case you'd prefer to have a period, your doctor can probably switch you to a different pill, and then you'll have periods again. Best wishes.