Dr Peter Bush
Dr Peter Bush, Doctor
Experience:  Member of the Institute of Healthcare Management
75055251

I have a illness which left me virtually in a coma

Customer Question

I have a chronic illness which left me virtually in a coma for the last three years. Before this time I had great teeth, but due to the illness regular oral hygiene was not possible. I am now slightly better so am cleaning my teeth usually once a day, but they are very sensitive, and my gums sometimes bleed slightly – I am now so afraid of permanent damage.

Q: Is there anything I can do to reverse the damage (not just calm the symptoms with special toothpaste), or will I have sensitive teeth forever?

Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 3 years ago.

Dr Peter Bush :

Dr Peter Bush :

What was the chronic illness that left you in a coma for the last 3 years, how long has it been since you recovered from this state?

JACUSTOMER-3qt0tkg2- : Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – Presently in the process of recovery, so not well, but no longer bedridden.
Dr Peter Bush :

No problems. Due to the length of time you were in a coma, this would have resulted in some gum issues, including bleeding on brushing, and general bleeding. Also your teeth and gums would not be used to activity.

Dr Peter Bush :

Just take things slowly, brush twice a day, it might be worth getting a baby brush which is a lot more gentle on your gums, but as the gums get used to being active again and it toughens back up, then the gums will gradually return to their original condition.

Dr Peter Bush :

The sensitivity is also because of the lack of activity and the length of time you were in a coma, Although you said not toothpaste, it would be worth you using some cordosol mouth wash and a sensitive toothpaste for a period until things calm down. This will happen it will just take time I am afraid.

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi Did you have any other questions, Was you happy with the answer

Dr Peter Bush :

If you are happy with the answer please leave a positive rate.

JACUSTOMER-3qt0tkg2- :

So, just to check - gums can heal and teeth can harden it just takes time and good care?

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi Yes that is correct, it will take time and good oral hygiene, if you could please leave positive rate below and any further questions can be asked at any time