Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a pain in my left side around the ribs area, the pain

Customer Question

I have a pain in my left side around the ribs area, the pain and nausea comes in waves. i have the pain for around 10 hours now. i keep burping ,tastes sulphuric eggy. i keep feeling hot and cold and feel bloated. i have just vomitted.i do not have diahorea. i am type 2 diabetic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--have you ever had this before? Any fever?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i had this first when i started liraglutide victoza 2 years ago, but not with the intense pain.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--my biggest concern here is that you're diabetic Annette. While this could just be a bout of viral gastroenteritis, I'm concerned that it could be diverticulitis--inflammation of a pouch in the colon with subsequent infection and infections are problematic with diabetics. Potentially this could also be a peptic ulcer problem, but that pain is more often in the midline radiating to the back. I hate to sound like an alarmist here, but you really should see a doctor about this just as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have just been to the bathroom with diahorea and the pain is still on the leftside and in the middle just under the ribs, not the lower half of the stomach.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--diverticulitis can occur in the upper left colon so the pain doesn't always happen in the left lower quadrant. With the diarrhea, though, this could be just a viral gastroenteritis but if you don't wish to see a doctor right now, if the diarrhea continues for more than three days you should to get a stool culture since this could be an infectious, bacterial enteritis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the pain has subsided at the moment , but is still there on

left hand side , more tender when pressed, and the smelly burps are still there. Should i try to drink fluids or eat and should i take my regular medication before bedtime? I am thinking if the pain stays as it is i can manage until the doctors surgery opens in the morning.?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Stick with clear liquids for now but do get seen in the morning. Continue your meds