Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My resting pulse is about 60. During light activity it varies

Customer Question

My resting pulse is about 60. During light activity it varies normally between 60-80 and goes down again. During exercise it increases to about 120 and then stays at this constant rate. Working more or less does not change the pulse. After stopping it remains at 120 for about 20 mins of stopping before falling back suddenly to about 80. I have no symptoms. Does this sound like any possible arrhythmia or SVT?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.

No, this does not sound like SVT at all.

Or like any other arrhythmia.

This is a normal physiological response to exercise. It is normal that your pulse rate rises after exercise and stays that way for some time, and then returns to normal.

No cause for worry here.

Take care.

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At rest/slow walking the pulse varies slightly i.e up the stair pulse increase, sit down drops again. However when exercising it goes to 120 and then stops exactly at the same rate with no variation (when graphed it is a flat line, even though workload is varying). Working harder still does not increase the heart rate any higher, and then stopping does not cause the heart rate to slow. it is as if it is fixed at a rate of 120bpm

No, this is not a symptom of arrhythmia.

Still you should discuss with your doctor. Discuss about doing EKG, Halter and/or event monitoring test with him.

Take care.

Dr. P. Jyoti