Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am very well educated and very logical man, married with

I am very well educated and very logical man, married with 4 kids, I have been treated as sychiatric paciant for 15 years taken 5 mg zeprexa dialy now. The problem that the doctor did not got any explain to my life and circumstances which has leaded to the hi depress that I was feeling that time, so I think I need some one to digonise my status. I am very successful in my social and work life through my al life. what to do to now?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Could you clarify how we can be of assistance?
Are you asking for clarification of the diagnosis?
Are you asking for an explanation of the cause of clinical depression?
Are you asking whether you should continue on the medicine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. I want you to direct me the next step to quit from un educated diagnostic.

2. no I am asking how to do my next step to have the right diagnostic even though the depress is over.

3. no they might be written in file it is schizophrenia, the doctor is not clear and I remember the day I enter the clinic where I have been in so many troubles in my social life, I did not harm any one even with a single word. so I am not sure that I have have got the right diagnosis.

4. the medication is giving me happiness even in any trouble appearing in my life, but I think I am old enough to face it rather to be an artificial strong personality.

What type of physician are you currently seeing for care?
What type of assessment has been done?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. a medical male physician

2. just 5 mg zeprexa every night (for 15 years till now)

Is this physician a primary care physician or a specialist?
If a specialist, what type of specialist?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. he is specialist

2. I did not asked but I he is psychiatric specialist as I know because he is working in prime medical centre where they have an individual psychiatric clinic.

If this doctor practices at a prime medical centre, what makes you say that this is an uneducated diagnostic?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because they never went through my life even in single visit since I went to them in1998, and the days before I met him I was in brilliant situation but it was a one year of social troubles led me to see him, I don't have any issue against him but I want your advice if I can get talking medication instead of drugs?

Thank you for the clarification.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

First, from the perspective of diagnosis, whenever a patient feels that they have not received a proper diagnostic evaluation, the usual advice is to seek a higher level of specialty care. If being seen by a primary care physician, then it would be appropriate to seek a consultation with a Psychiatrist. If already seeing a Psychiatrist, then it would be reasonable to seek a Psychiatrist at a teaching hospital/major medical centre, which are usually associated with a medical school. If you have already been seen by a Psychiatrist at a major medical centre, then the next step would be to seek a second opinion by another Psychiatrist at a major medical centre, either at the same or a different medical centre.

Whether other management of the condition would be appropriate would depend upon what is the diagnosis. A person diagnosed with depression may be able to be successfully treated with counselling, and the form of counselling that has been shown to be most effective is cognitive-behavioural therapy (or CBT). CBT is usually offered by a Psychologist that does counselling, rather than a Psychiatrist. On the other hand, counselling is typically of limited benefit if the diagnosis is schizophrenia. Therefore, it is important to be certain of the diagnosis before making recommendations regarding treatment.

It is also true that many people with depression can improve to a sufficient degree with medicines and time, so that the majority of people with depression are able to get off medicines after a period of time. This is usually because the underlying problem has improved sufficiently to allow this to happen. In someone with depression that is doing well on medicines for an extended period of time, it is reasonable for the doctor to consider a trial of tapering off the medicine to see how the patient does.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.