Dr Peter Bush
Dr Peter Bush, Doctor
Experience:  Member of the Institute of Healthcare Management
75055251

I was seen by a consultant (privately) who sent a referral

Customer Question

I was seen by a consultant (privately) who sent a referral letter to my G.P. to attend an out patients clinic (urgently) to have a scan. After waiting two weeks, called receptionist who said there is an eight week waiting list! I find this absolutely unacceptable
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry that you have to wait to see your GP at the outpatient clinic.

Dr. David :

what type of scan do they want you to have?

Dr. David :

that is the problem with nationalized healthcare in the UK with the NHS. there is often a wait.

Dr. David :

you can always go to a private clinic and have the scan done privately but you have to pay for it yourself.

Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, with the NHS there is a waiting list in place, and 8 weeks is rather a good waiting list time. Having known and worked within the NHS, Waiting lists that are under 6 months are very good, and if you can be seen within 2 months, then this is an urgent referral for the NHS.

You can see the consultant you originally seen privately, and he could personally refer you for the scan which you require, but then you would have to pay for this service.

A delay would have also happened between the private consultant and your GP, as a letter would have needed to be sent to your GP and then a letter written from your GP to the hospital concerned.

You can ring the appointments secretary up at the hospital, you are going to and ask that if a cancellation comes up, you could be available at very short notice to attend, this can reduce the waiting but you must be available to travel to the hospital sometimes within an hour or two's notice.

But in all honestly, an 8 week wait is very good for the NHS unfortunately.
Do you need any further advice?
If you are happy with the response, please leave a positive rating.