Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I am 78years and three months have a throbbing headache, doctor

Customer Question

I am 78years and three months have a throbbing headache, doctor don't know what can be the cause
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Did you have any kind of tests done?

Any problems with the vision?

Speech or smell issues?

Gait problems?

How frequently do you get this pain? Is it associated with nausea or vomiting?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I had no test, no visual problems, speech ok but smell is difficult, my gait is ok, I have this pain all the time sometimes it gets unbearable.
sometimes I feel sick but do not vomit.

Thank you Barbara for the useful information.

This can be migraine, a chronic recurrent pain that can be associated with nausea or vomiting or visual complaints.

Tension head ache (secondary due to mental stress, physical exertion, or sleep issues) is another possibility which occurs due to spasm of muscles in the head and neck region.

Cluster head ache is another possibility that give you severe head ache lasting for few days and then disappears.

Depression and anxiety are another reason.

However, the mos important (although less likely) possibility that need to be ruled out in your case is a brain tumor.

Any headache that persist beyond 6 weeks with out any known trigger need to be investigated and a CT scan of the brain is a must do investigation to rule out that there is nothing seriously wrong.

You should see a Neurologist for a comprehensive clinical examination (ask your GP for a referral) discussing the above mentioned possibilities, which will direct further tests and subsequent management strategy.

Its not only the pain killers, but there are other medications as well which your neurologist can prescribe you to prevent, and to control these kind of pains.

Until then there is no harm in taking paracetamol or ibuprofen for this.

Adequate sleep.

And avoid caffeinated drinks.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.