Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

dear sir i suffer from Parkinsons disease and every now and

Customer Question

dear sir i suffer from Parkinsons disease and every now and again i would get constipated, despite drinking lots of water and eating bran and fibre . but the present bout will not move(ha ha ) i have taken most of a bottle of but i feel to burst Please please help sorry the bottle i took was syrup of fige

Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 4 years ago.

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi, How long has the current bout of constipation lasted?

Dr Peter Bush :

Constipation often affects those with Parkinsons Disease. It occurs when bowel movements become difficult or less frequent. The normal length of time between bowel movements ranges widely from person to person. Some people have bowel movements three times a day; others only one to two times a week. Going longer than three days without a bowel movement causes the stool to harden and become more difficult to pass. You should try the following as a first phase of treatment

• Drink two to four extra glasses of water a day.
  • Try warm liquids, especially in the morning.
  • Add fruits and vegetables to your diet.
  • Eat prunes and/or bran cereal.
  • If needed, use a very mild stool softener or laxative (such as Pericolace or Milk of Magnesia). Do not use laxatives for more than two weeks without calling your doctor since laxative overuse can aggravate your symptoms.
Dr Peter Bush :

If this lasts more than 3 weeks you need to see your doctor, like wise if there is any blood, losing weight, or if you endure severe pain when you do move your bowels. I hope this has answered your question, if you could please positive rating. Syrup of Figs will not harm you as you cannot overdose, but try Milk of Magnesia in the night then in the morning you should be able to relieve your bowels.

Dr Peter Bush :

If you are happy with the answer provided, please rate positively below

JACUSTOMER-6nhdtqhv- : Dear. Sir I have just wakened and having followed your advice since yesterday I am pleased to let you know that I have had modicum of relief I will continue the regime
JACUSTOMER-6nhdtqhv- : Dr petre
Dr Peter Bush :

Hi, I am glad that your symptoms have cleared. If you could please leave a positive review below and should you require any further information please do not hesitate to get in touch