Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I used the morning after pill 2 weeks ago and started cerazette,

Customer Question

I used the morning after pill 2 weeks ago and started cerazette, a mini pill, 6 days ago, I had unprotected sex within the last 24 hours but I am not sure if I am currently protected by the pill or should I get the morning after pill again
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you.

It would depend upon when the mini pill was started. If the mini pill is started at the onset of a period, then it is effective immediately and there is no concern about needing to use a back-up method of birth control. However, if the mini pill is started at other times, it is recommended to use a back-up method initially. It is most important to use a back-up method for the first couple days, but there is some risk for up to 7 days after starting the mini pill.

Therefore, if you started the mini pill at the onset of a period, then you are adequately protected, but if it was started at other times, it would be reasonable to use the morning after pill again.

It is also important to note that the mini pill does not protect against STDs, so unless you are in a monogamous relationship, it is recommended that condoms be used, even after the 7 days during which the effectiveness is building. At this point, they are not necessary for contraception, but still appropriate for reduction of the risk of transmission of STDs.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.