Dr Peter Bush
Dr Peter Bush, Doctor
Experience:  Member of the Institute of Healthcare Management
75055251

my granddaughter has had permenant constipation and terrible

Customer Question

my granddaughter has had permenant constipation and terrible sickness for nine months she has been into hospital several times had many tests and procedures, no amount of medication is helping and nobody seems able to get to the bottom of it, and as you can imagine we are all at our wits end as to what else can be done for her, please can you help in any way.
Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 3 years ago.

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your situation. What tests and procedures have been carried out so far?

JACUSTOMER-9btdums5- :

barium swallows and barium meal, enema,s blood tests, xrays brain scan , ultra sound , and many medications no of which work at all.

Dr Peter Bush :

Has your grand daughter been tested for Allergies?

Dr Peter Bush :

Gluten and Milk Allergy for example

JACUSTOMER-9btdums5- :

no they don't seem to thick it is that as she is sick so much

Dr Peter Bush :

Have they tested for these including wheat allergy

JACUSTOMER-9btdums5- :

no

Dr Peter Bush :

I believe they should test for these 3 allergies, as when a child has a chronic constipation problem, and tests are clear. It is generally down to one of these allergies.

Dr Peter Bush :

The simplest way to test for these is to completely remove the food from the child's diet for at least 5 days, and see if symptoms clear.

JACUSTOMER-9btdums5- :

we have mentioned this several times but they don't seem to think there is a need, its so frustrating, she is now waiting to see a pediatric gastroenterologist in Bristol

Dr Peter Bush :

As you are at your wits end, and all tests have proved negatively. It is worth checking every possible cause. I would also suggest taking a probiotic supplement before breakfast on an empty stomach. Human intestines contain around a kilo of bacteria, some beneficial and some disease causing. Probiotics reduce the numbers of pathogenic bacteria by competing with them for adhesion to the colon wall.

Dr Peter Bush :

A pediatric gastroenterologist would be a good referral, and they are the specialists in this field. They would run all the allergy tests as well. If there is still no benefit, there are surgical options as a last resort.

JACUSTOMER-9btdums5- :

Thankyou very much for your help we will give what you suggested a go

Dr Peter Bush :

No problems, if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to get in contact, please also leave a positive rate below