Dr Peter Bush
Dr Peter Bush, Doctor
Experience:  Member of the Institute of Healthcare Management
75055251

Hi, 41 year old male. 3-4 weeks ago following a lengthy car

Hi, 41 year old male. 3-4 weeks ago following a lengthy car journey I experienced some discomfort in my left hip when getting out of the car. Since then I began to notice that whenever I sat in the car my hip felt slightly uncomfortable. More recently my hip is becoming uncomfortable in general day to day situations, it is most comfortable when lying down. There is no tenderness to touch but my groin feels it may have pulled a little. Ibuprofen doesn't seem to help much. There is a slight dull feeling in my groin too.
Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 4 years ago.

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi, I am Dr Bush, Have you had any injuries to your hip?

Customer:

Several years ago I pulled the ligament but I can't recall injuring it in any way recently. I have encountered discomfort when moving from side to side but this feels different, more of a constant dull pain, rather than a sharp sudden pain I have had before.

Dr Peter Bush :

Is the pain there at all times?

Customer:

When standing or sitting, yes. When lying I am more comfortable.

Dr Peter Bush :

It sounds as if you may have strained yourself. Have you tried anything to help?

Customer:

Ibuprofen and paracetamol, neither make much difference

Dr Peter Bush :

Is there any swelling or bruising present?

Customer:

None

Dr Peter Bush :

It does sound as if it is a Grade I Groin Strain

Dr Peter Bush :

A Grade I Groin strain gives Mild discomfort, often no disability. Usually does not limit activity. Do you get pain during the night

Customer:

I am not sleeping well but it is not noticeably more painful in bed

Dr Peter Bush :

It is important to rest following to allow the injured muscle to properly heal. Allow pain to guide your level of activity; this means that activities which cause symptoms should be avoided. Because of the length of time you have had symptoms, it would also be worth popping to see your GP, just so they can check your injury site and have a face to face consultation. You may require a referral to see the physiotherapist which your GP can arrange.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for an appointment would you suggest any other medication other than Ibuprofen and Paracetamol?

Dr Peter Bush :

Unfortunately, I would recommend Ibuprofen (as this is an anti-inflammatory), you can also get ibruprofen gel which is applied straight to the affected area, which may also be beneficial.

Dr Peter Bush :

You can get this directly from the chemist, If you could leave a positive rate below so I can get credit for helping you this evening, and you can always come back if you need any more advice.

Customer:

I will, thank you for your time.

How is your injury now, do you need any follow up advice?